Monday 18 August 2008

Quiet day today. Only four of my lovely regs and a few randoms came in. I think it's a combination of the rain (the muggy, warm, on again off again stupid rain!) and the first day of term. The kids are back at school!

I was talking to a customer today about the good ole bad ole days at school. Since it was quiet, I could sit with my customer over coffee (espresso macchiato for me and a latte for him)and talked about school days past. I always hated school. I loved learning, but doing that at my school was really difficult. Ned Central we used to call it. Chav central for the non Scottish! My customer has a son he's finding it difficult to explain how the years are school are probably the most important in your life. Because no matter what, kids will never believe it. Most can't wait to leave, procastinate, or just plain don't care. We don't realise how damn important those few years are until it's too late. I only lasted six months before I started regretting not continuing my education at school instead of going to college. I loved college life, but it lacked the discipline I still needed. As a result, I wasted time and a load of money doing nothing. So many kids just like me slip through the net, and give up the brain they have to a dead end job or a family they have too young. I'm one of luckier ones, I don't have a family to support and I actually love my job - but to think of what my life would have been like had I applied myself like I should have.

I really hope my customer gets through to his son. He knows if he used just one iota of his intelligence the rewards would come back tenfold. The problem is, I think, that kids on the start of their secondary career think six years is a sentence too long, when really, it's just the kickstart to a lifetime full of learning.

I'm starting a quote of the day today. Mostly since it'll be an impetus for me to continue to post new blogs! Today's quote is this:

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

-Vernon Saunders Law

No comments: